Sunday, May 08, 2022

The Producers

We went to see a local professional production of The Producers last night.  It's a fun script, they did it well. It was bawdier than I expected - I never saw either version of the movie - but upon reflection, Mel Brooks.  I should have had different expectations. I have only been to children's productions at the Palace - I think - since I went to see Shakespeare in 1976 or 77 just after leaving William and Mary. I didn't think much of the quality compared to what I had been used to. Things can change in 45 years, and this was quite good.  It is dance-heavy and clear that the ensemble, male and female were cast first for that skill. Very high energy required, number after number.

It trades on every gay stereotype, but it must not be considered offensive, as my college roommate, who came out a few years after, has directed the show in the last few years. There are literary references scattered throughout - the second male lead is named Leopold Bloom, for example. The theme song for the play-within-a-play, "Springtime For Hitler," echoes "Willkommen" from Cabaret. Clownish Nazi stereotypes are also prominent. The basic originality of the show's idea prevents any of it from being trite.

4 comments:

Deevs said...

I've only seen the more recent film version with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. It was amusing enough overall, but Springtime for Hitler is one of the funniest things ever committed to film in my opinion. Worth a watch on YouTube even if you never see the actual film.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Agree. I had seen that number on Youtube and kept expecting it, thinking it must come early. It actually comes quite late in the show.

Grim said...

You can't really top a number called "Springtime for Hitler." It has to come at the climax.

Grim said...

I have heard that there's a pirate show called "Our Flag Means Death" that also trades in these old Vaudeville gay stereotypes, which Mel Brooks loved so well. People tell me it's great; I figure the producers will have to settle up with the ghosts of Stede Bonnet and Blackbeard right after they die.