Thursday, January 19, 2012

Childhood Obesity

Commentary on TV while I was in the waiting room:  A guy jokingly said he would be in favor of tasing kids as they put a Dorito to their mouths, because he supported anything that reduced childhood obesity.

I get that it's better not to be obese.  Why is this now the most important value to teach in the country, excusing all manner of interference?  Especially as the strongest correlate is fatherlessness, which the government doesn't want to interfere in at all?

3 comments:

Donna B. said...

Part of this is a fashion change. Pudgy, chunky babies and toddlers used to be considered the cutest and healthiest.

Now... not so much.

So much correlates with the rise in obesity. The other day, I briefly wondered if the expanded use of teflon in cooking had anything to do with it...

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Okay, I'll bite. I'm dying to know what theory you were experimenting with in your head on that one.

Donna B. said...

It's a special theory dealing with things that I don't like. I blame those things for all problems. Little or no evidence required.

I don't like teflon. Childhood obesity is apparently a problem. Therefore teflon causes childhood obesity. See how easy this is?

Others use it too. They hate Republicans or Democrats. Inequality or unfairness is a problem, therefore Republicans or Democrats are to blame.