Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Poster Child

Whenever the discussion turns to IQ, usually because genetics are involved and people find it offensive to think so, there is much resistance and protest.  Much ink has been spilled over why this is.  While it is difficult to discern motives, especially at a distance, I think that in the aggregate, people want credit for their other good qualities - their hard work, their resilience, their ability to get along with others, their charm, their adaptability; next, they also don't like to think that their favorite solutions may not fix some things, because that takes away their favorite sermons and pronouncements. 

As with more political arguments, there is a motte-and-bailey aspect, that "some people have all the intelligence in the world, but they never accomplish anything" or the like. They point out, as if it is somehow a new concept to me that I haven't taken into consideration, that IQ isn't everything.

It bears mentioning that I am the poster child for IQ not being everything. I entered my freshman year of college with the highest SAT's and graduated near the bottom of the class (even after my grades improved under the good influences of my eventual wife for my last three semesters). I worked at low-status jobs at first, slid my way up to medium status over time, and coul only have been described as above-average status the last few years, and even then only among certain groups.  I never made $50K in a year. I did many other things outside of work that I hope were worthy, using skills that I was not 99th percentile in, that used IQ mostly tangentially. I think I made mostly the right choices, but even now there are times when I wonder at the cost.

So yeah, I've heard the rumor that IQ isn't everything.  You needn't explain it to me in that patient tone. But it is what it is, and on the group even more than the individual level, can be quite useful.

2 comments:

David Christian said...

I once had a boss reccomend to me "Find a way, in the course of an interview, to find out a candidates SAT score, if it's over 1400 don't hire them." (1400 old scale)

"Uh Boss, I scored 1420."

We laughed, but his point was two fold I think.

- People with high IQs have difficulty making decisions. Too many options I guess.
- People with high IQs get bored easily.

I've never struggled with decision making, but I have struggled with seeing the moves of the game many steps in advance. So limiting myself to the immediate, or near immediate decisions became the thing I worked on.

As for boredom, I've almost always been able to find roles that were adequately stimulating. Then go home and read a book.

I don't think my old boss was wrong.

Christopher B said...

people want credit for their other good qualities

If they are succeeding in pursuits that require a high g factor they also don't like to be told that portion of their success isn't due to their own efforts.

The corollary is the snobbery, usually implied but not infrequently expressed outright, that nothing worthwhile comes from pursuits that don't (seem to) require high g. Our local school district is having a time this year obtaining bus drivers due to mass retirements, poor working conditions, and the more general shortage of people willing to work tough jobs. A somewhat confusing FB rant was posted by an acquaintance who also regularly posts on her progress towards a rather esoteric advanced degree that included a reference to the starting salary for a school bus driver being higher than a first year teacher's, with the implication that this was inequitable for ... reasons.