Saturday, November 25, 2023

Unnamed Provenance

I think it best to weight heavily the opinions of those who read/hear their opponents' arguments and answer them. I won't say which site - which many of you are familiar with (don't worry, they don't comment here) - prompted this. 

Good college, responsible job, raised children who are independent. They have completely lost it over the last few years. I do not regard this as an intellectual failing, but an emotional one. There is a need to be on one side of an issue no matter the data.  You don't need to know who and it isn't even important. This is simply a cautionary tale that even later in life, after you have avoided many varieties of foolishness, such things (social and emotional rather than intellectual reasoning) can still hunt you down and make you stupid. 

Tomorrow would be a good day to take a walk, but I fear it will elude me, for joyful reasons. Son #4 appeared from Tromso, Norway for Thanksgiving with his fiancee, who we had not met in the flesh before. So seeing them will be of great importance, and reflecting on whether any of my opinions acquired over the last year are founded on foolishness will have to weight. 

Fortunately, I don't think the survival of the republic urgently depends on me getting this right. I think we will avoid collapse until December 4th, when I can resume getting my opinions clean. 

I have an Advent and Christmas letter post coming soon.

No comments: