Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Language Log

Update:  Pancreas link fixed.

I wander over to Language Log at times, and it occurs to me some of you might be interested in it. They do a moderately good job of keeping to topic on language, without too much leakage into extraneous political and cultural issues.  When they do, they are humanities academics, so the bias of their people is predictable.  It's just not too intrusive.

On the front page today are some fun things:
Commenting on the headline "US Government Plans To Use Drones To Fire Vaccine-Laced M&M's Near Endangered Ferrets."

Porcelain Bumping - the meaning of a Chinese phrase that has come into use WRT to its clumsy attempts to intimidate other nations - in this case the Swedes - into doing what they want. It is interesting to notice that it's usually America which gets criticised for being diplomatically inept and pushy. At least, that's what we hear about here.  But it's not just us.

An explanation of the touching Japanese book and film title I Want To Eat Your Pancreas. In language news at the hospital, I am glad I don't have to do groups anymore. Poor Mary, one of the nurses on the intensive unit asked her group what the workbook phrase about community survival meant by "Don't put all your eggs in one basket." Jeffrey answered "It means to have more children by other women. That's what it means to me."

2 comments:

Sam L. said...

The link for "I Want To Eat Your Pancreas" goes nowhere. Which is OK for me, because it's not something I'd want to eat.

RichardJohnson said...

I second the recommendation. I look at Language Blog every 3-4 months- the last time several days ago where I read the Chinese porcelain bit. You might be interested in this Advanced Google Search @ Language Log: New England accent.