Friday, October 05, 2018

Hallowe'en Puns

I just love putting the apostrophe in Hallowe'en every time.  Just a little cue to remind people of the origin.


How did Hallowe’en, of all holidays, come to be so strongly associated with puns? Other holidays have occasional puns associated with them. Valentine’s Day is a distant second in punning.  But nothing approaches October 31st for riddles or posters about “a monster’s ghoulfriend,” “Boo-berries,” or a werewolf hiding in your “Claws-it.” Is it because we made it a children’s holiday because of the costumes and candy, and children do reach an age where they like that sort of simple wordplay?

3 comments:

james said...

Along those lines... You know that computer programmers cannot tell Hallowe'en from Christmas? OCT 31 = DEC 25

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I had never seen that joke, and it took me a while.

Sam L. said...

I like wordplay. I think I got the Oct 31 = Dec 25, but I'm not gonna give it away.