Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Eye Surgery

I have a macular hole, and will be operated on tomorrow, after which I will be required to be face down as much as possible for the next week. I might get some additional posting or commenting in over the next 22 hours, but there are things to do that I will not be able to soon, so I cram them in now. My wife can do most things of the week, but taking heavy objects to the dump - she dislikes driving the truck anyway - more properly falls to me, and there are jobs that are usually just mine, mostly.

It has been interesting setting up the equipment so that I can read.  We don't notice that we move our head, or the reading material, slightly closer or back to help focus. Adjusting the head positioning and the tray positioning isn't as straightforward as I would have liked. I practiced on the bed cushion with the tray you put your face in, and slept four hours straight, which is better than average for me, so that part may work out fine. The long hours of the day are what worry me.

Ah well, some people have no sight at all, and I will likely have very little pain, only discomfort, so it's best that I get over myself.  I will be thinking of you and wishing I could be with you.

11 comments:

james said...

"face down" Are you allowed to stick your head over the edge of the bed and read a kindle on the floor?

Aggie said...

What's that famous old mystery novel where the police detective is recuperating flat on his back in a hospital and to pass the time, he solves an age-old mystery? Can't remember the title. Anyway, all the best for your surgery and convalescence, hope it's not too onerous.

james said...

Daughter of Time ?

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I have rented a chair something like a massage chair that allows me to put a book or a kindle on a tray and look down at it. There is also some sort of arrangement of mirrors I could assemble to watch TV (we don't have one) or see my conversation partners, while maintaining my downward gaze. It has to be 90 degrees to the floor, not 45, and it's the position of the eye, not the head that matters.

Tey's book fits that description, but I don't know if that's the one Aggie was talking about. Likely yes.

Sam L. said...

Take good care of yourself. I will check in daily, and I expect many others will too, but don't worry about us. We will just have to wait. Good thing I'm patient.

Donna B. said...

Will you be able to use a pen and paper? A recorder, perhaps. I'm not begging for posts, but worrying thoughts will clog up your head if you can't get them out to play with. Of course, I'm projecting here. That would drive me nuts.

Christopher B said...

Good luck, and speedy healing.

Aggie said...

Yep, that's the one! I remember it had the word 'time' in it, and then this morning I remembered Josephine Tey's name.

Looks like they still make those prism glasses that allow one to lie on their back and watch TV, but it doesn't sound like they would help in your case.

https://www.amazon.com/Andux-Periscope-Glasses-Reading-Spectacles/dp/B00A8X0RW0/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1537987587&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=prism+glasses&psc=1

In any case, take good care!

Aggie said...

And...sorry, but it you're concerned about passing the time while recuperating, may I suggest the collected lute pieces of Sylvius Leopold Weiss. I find lute music from that era extremely calming and usually play it when I'm working in the shop. Weiss was a contemporary of JS Bach, and while Back was famous for the organ, Weiss was his contemporary on the lute, and one of the highest paid musicians of his time.

Brad said...

How did it go?

Jonathan said...

All best wishes for your recovery and future health.