I was surprised that a new comment was not accepted at "Matriarchal Blessing" on Substack even though I had liked the original post and said so. The reply rules told me not to be insulting. I didn't think I was.
You probably noticed this already but SubStack has some new AI nanny screening comments. I haven't had a comment rejected that I know of but I have noticed comments that have been 'hidden' (i.e. flagged by the AI censor) and usually when reading them it's hard to tell why.
I scrolled over to Matriarchal Blessing and while I wasn't able to see your comment on the most recent post (if that's where it was) the 'hidden' comments on that one were uniformly unremarkable and would leave anybody scratching their head as to why they were excluded from view.
The problem they're talking about there is an interesting one, but the comments don't seem to me to be very helpful. The thesis isn't silly; it's well supported that men leave fields that become predominantly female, which then become less well-paid.
Why? Well, one reason is that a lot more people are now willing to do whatever it was than previously (~doubled supply) and it probably isn't in greater demand than previously (steady demand). Men are more likely to accept physically difficult careers like construction, or dangerous careers like oil rig work, and there they will be competing with fewer people for whatever price the demand sets.
The comments seem to be that men are doing it because their feelings are hurt. Most likely they weren't thinking about their feelings as a primary concern when they decided on an unpleasant or dangerous career. Pretty much anything you can do in air conditioning is now flooded with applicants, so fewer are choosing to go to a college preparation that points them that way. Makes rational sense to me.
Also, college is objectively worse than it used to be; education in general seems to be. At the same time as the quality has declined, the cost of going to college is much higher than once. That also seems like a rational cause that might be in play.
@ George. I thought of it, but couldn't tell which one it was. There were comments much more insulting than anything I would ever say, so Christopher B's explanation is likely. There is AI managing the censoring, and in its current form it has a random/unexplainable tendency. Grim is correct that a lot of the explanation was that men's widdle feewings are huht because the females are doing better than them. I had an extended discussion with a woman who was a DI softball All-American who said that men quit when they saw her hit farther than them.
6 comments:
Insulting is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.
Are you going to tell us what the comment was?
You probably noticed this already but SubStack has some new AI nanny screening comments. I haven't had a comment rejected that I know of but I have noticed comments that have been 'hidden' (i.e. flagged by the AI censor) and usually when reading them it's hard to tell why.
I scrolled over to Matriarchal Blessing and while I wasn't able to see your comment on the most recent post (if that's where it was) the 'hidden' comments on that one were uniformly unremarkable and would leave anybody scratching their head as to why they were excluded from view.
The problem they're talking about there is an interesting one, but the comments don't seem to me to be very helpful. The thesis isn't silly; it's well supported that men leave fields that become predominantly female, which then become less well-paid.
Why? Well, one reason is that a lot more people are now willing to do whatever it was than previously (~doubled supply) and it probably isn't in greater demand than previously (steady demand). Men are more likely to accept physically difficult careers like construction, or dangerous careers like oil rig work, and there they will be competing with fewer people for whatever price the demand sets.
The comments seem to be that men are doing it because their feelings are hurt. Most likely they weren't thinking about their feelings as a primary concern when they decided on an unpleasant or dangerous career. Pretty much anything you can do in air conditioning is now flooded with applicants, so fewer are choosing to go to a college preparation that points them that way. Makes rational sense to me.
Also, college is objectively worse than it used to be; education in general seems to be. At the same time as the quality has declined, the cost of going to college is much higher than once. That also seems like a rational cause that might be in play.
@ George. I thought of it, but couldn't tell which one it was. There were comments much more insulting than anything I would ever say, so Christopher B's explanation is likely. There is AI managing the censoring, and in its current form it has a random/unexplainable tendency. Grim is correct that a lot of the explanation was that men's widdle feewings are huht because the females are doing better than them. I had an extended discussion with a woman who was a DI softball All-American who said that men quit when they saw her hit farther than them.
Post a Comment