Monday, March 25, 2024

Ilia Malinin

Ann Althouse carried this today, and I almost passed it by.  This is not a sport I am much interested in. I recall women (I'm lookin' at you Cindy Garman) swooning over John Misha Petkavich at the '72 Winter Olympics because of the new athleticism he brought to the sport, but I was unimpressed. Is that the best you guys can do? In the subsequent fifty years I might recognise a name or two. Like ballet, even the most athletic moves still have a touch of a feminine quality. The women are performing more like male gymnasts every year, so I always thought they were rather meeting in the middle. Fine.

I am glad I clicked through.  Part of it is the music, sure, and the design and progression of the routine.  But you have to be able to live up to that once it is put in place, and this kid does it.  He has that reckless got-energy-to-burn-sweetheart energy that girls get breathless over and older men nod approvingly at with a smirk. Well played, lad. Well played.  I think this will work out for you.



1 comment:

engineerlite said...

Thank you. Unbelieveable performance.