Sunday, September 24, 2023

Dead, Dead, The Child I Lov'd So Well

 Charles Wesley. 



1. Dead, dead the child I loved so well 

Transported to the the world above

I need no more my heart concel

I never dared indulge my love

But may I not indulge my grief

And seek in tears a sad relief?


2. Mine earthly happiness is fled

His mother's joy, his father's hope

Oh had I died in Isaac's stead

He should have lived my age's prop

He should have closed his father's eyes

And followed me to paradise


3. Those waving hands no more shall move

Those laughing eyes shall smile no more

He cannot now engage our love

With sweet insinuating power

Our weakened unguarded hearts ensnare

And rival his creator there


4. From us, and we from him secure

Caught to his heavenly father's breast

He waits, till we the bliss insure

From all these stormy sorrows rest

And see him with our Angel stand

To waft, and welcome us to land

No comments: