Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Shoop, Shoop

Bad advice. Not a bad song, but spectacularly bad advice.



Not only is it wrong - hey, anyone can be wrong about romance - but it is wrong in precisely the most damaging direction, the direction a young girl has talked herself into, despite no known evidence. However, not to worry. Romantic love in general, and the ability of some males to hack the reproductive advantage system in specific, may be an unhealthy thing.  But this song isn't the driver of that culture.  The record couldn't get cut if that pathology wasn't already firmly embedded.

So now that I've ruined that for you, enjoy.  It's a good song.

1 comment:

RichardJohnson said...

The first Shoop song I knew was Oop-Shoop, by the Crew Cuts. It was a 78 record played on a wind-up Victrola phonograph at a vacation cabin in the mountains. So square it's hip- that's what we thought at the time. These days, I just figure I'm square- or is that "deplorable."

Decades later, I found out that the Crew Cuts covered the song after Shirley Gunter and The Queens did it first. Questions of "appropriation" aside, I prefer the Shirley Gunter version.