Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Reading Reviews

Product reviews are important to a lot of businesses, it seems. I seldom write them. I really should, as it is the sort of wisdom of crowds that is helpful to others, even if they are sometimes faked or puffed up. I look at the overall, just to make sure there is not something weird happening. 4-point stars, fine, I don't differentiate much between 4.7 and 4.2 unless it is over a large sample. Two stars when there are more than six reviews gets my attention, but that seldom happens.  I read a very few five star reviews to make sure I have perceived this hotel or lawnmower correctly, then I move to the 1- and 2-star reviews for the same purpose. Sometimes no problem for you. "Cheaply made." Yeah, it's single use and what did you expect for four bucks? Most of the terrible reviews leave you thinking that it's the reviewer who has a problem more than the product. Reading a few of those can actually be sort of fun. What did you expect, clown?  

Rather like the 70s SNL episode where Bob Crawford is complaining because the National Park Service does not have any signs saying "Do Not Ride The Bears."

But sometimes these are helpful. "Yeah, that's exactly what I was going to need it for.  Good to know it doesn't do that." 

1 comment:

Douglas2 said...

Read some today that solved the mystery of the difference between the what color connections the instructions said to use vs the (different) colors on the product right in front of me.

I think I was a teen when I started wondering why "badge-engineered" cars that were mechanically and visually identical other than plastic trim had divergent JD Power ratings. I suspect budget brands get comparatively higher ratings because buyers of luxury brands are less tolerant of problems and annoyances.

In reading Travelocity reviews, I'm always surprised at the number of people expecting concierge service and 24-hour room service from $50/night hotels.