Tuesday, June 06, 2023

Plumber's Gold

Whenever I use thread-seal tape, that used to be called Teflon tape (Teflon no longer makes it) I think "It's called plumber's gold." Today I thought "Well, it was called plumber's gold over forty years ago by a guy who told me to go get some if I was screwing any hoses or plumbing together. I wonder if it's still called that.  And I wonder if he was even right then."

Plumber's Gold is now a brand name putty. Looking around, I see no record of teflon tape ever being called plumber's gold. Maybe I made it up.  Maybe I remember it wrong. Most likely, they stopped calling it that 39 years ago. Out of fashion for 39 years again.

2 comments:

Mike Guenther said...

As far as I can remember, being in the trades for 40+ years, PTFE tape was always called "plumber's tape", or Teflon tape. Never heard it called plumbers gold.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Thanks