Friday, August 05, 2022

The Line

I mentioned The Line just over a week ago, and there was good commentary on it only a few days later on ACX. Scott is not impressed by The Line, nor the other Saudi utopian projects.

I am spending more and more time on that site, as it tackles interesting topics in very clear ways.  An education study that shows that Ritalin works for paying attention, but school isn't worth paying attention to; nootropics, fusion energy, what caused the homicide spike.  All good stuff, and he seems to have little agenda. 

In discussing the Ivermectin controversy, he cautions himself:

Did you believe that?

I did, briefly. Then I remembered the Law Of Rationalist Irony: the smugger you feel about having caught a bias in someone else, the more likely you are falling victim to that bias right now, in whatever way would be most embarrassing.

I certainly see myself in that as well.

1 comment:

Grim said...

I have the same thoughts about the World Economic Forum's quite-out-in-the-open maneuvers to reorder the whole world along their idealized lines. It's never going to work; there's no reason to spend much time worrying about it.

I do hope NEOM comes to something, but I'm persuaded that this idea is not going to work. Also, in the linked piece, when he talks about them killing people over it notice that the guy was a Howetat.