Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Suavity

Donna B's comment reminded me of a TV comedian I saw many years ago, describing his efforts to be suave and charming with women.  He had seen some leading man in a movie light two cigarettes at once with some flair in a restaurant, and after both were started, presenting one to his date. The comedian was deeply impressed, and practiced this in a mirror many times, trying to get the look and the attitude just right. After getting this routine correct enough for public display, he brought it out on a date.

"I could tell I had it just right.  The meaningful but entirely calm and confident expression. The deft handling of all objects. Inhaling just deeply enough but not too much, then breathing out the first drags of double smoke slowly and offhandedly...

Two minutes later, I noticed I had forgotten to give her one."

No comments: