Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Eggs

I went to the supermarket to pick up the donated food for a local halfway house and they asked if we wanted eggs. I was sure they did so I took them, a whole heavy boxful.  It seems there is a new requirement that if there is a broken or cracked egg in a carton, they can no longer swap one out from another carton as of Jan 1. I don't know if this is general or just NH, but it seems wasteful to me.  It works out great for the halfway house, but that' going to be a lot of eggs over a whole chain.  The smaller markets might just send the carton home with someone at the end of the day.

It bothers me to participate in wasting that much food.  Eggs are cheap - like $0.15 or so - so I would just as soon absorb the cost myself if I pick up a carton with a cracked one. I'll take them home and throw one out.

6 comments:

Grim said...

It seems there is a new requirement that if there is a broken or cracked egg in a carton, they can no longer swap one out from another carton as of Jan 1.

Hm. "They" can't do a lot of things, I suppose; but there's nothing to stop me from doing it, and nobody's standing guard over the egg aisle. If we all just do the thing, there'll be one collection of broken eggs to toss and many happy dozens sold.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

good point

james said...

So long as everybody checks first, and doesn't wind up with the "one collection"...

Grim said...

That’s a lifelong lesson cheaply purchased for three dollars or so.

charlie said...

Lots of food is thrown away. It's a sign of how affluent a society we are.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Upon further review, if I go looking for a carton with good eggs for a replacement source and it has twelve, there is no advantage to me switching one out. I'll take the new good one I just discovered. I need to find a carton that has blank spaces or a compromised egg already for switching to have value. I don't think I am going to be opening carton after carton looking for one of those. I'll just grab the 11+1 bad one carton. If we all trained ourselves to be underground egg activists we could leave one to the side at an angle that we all knew was the "take eggs from here and put bad ones back" carton. I doubt it will catch on.