Saturday, August 22, 2020

I'm No Fool

Freshman year of college, the girls on my wife's floor at Dupont Hall referred to me as Jiminy Cricket, because I carried a cane early in the semester owing to a sprained ankle, but was an animated figure nonetheless.  It just occurred to me this moment that my ankle probably wasn't that badly sprained.  Just being overdramatic. Early in our marriage, she bought a Jiminy Cricket Christmas ornament that still goes on the tree every year. We have that sort of tree, on which many ornaments have a story.


I still hum the song to myself at times, but sang it out loud this morning, leading to the post.

2 comments:

HMS Defiant said...

the cane had its use when much was hurting. now I carry it from time to time because of the hurt and because it's a chick stick. my wife is unamused. neuropathy is a thing and when one can't feel the signals of balance from the feet, you go with a prop.

Sponge-headed ScienceMan said...

Careful, Ted Bundy used props to attract women and we know how that turned out.