Friday, May 31, 2019

Into Prophecy

In my longish years, I have known many Christians who are "into prophecy." I don't think this is a result of the teaching they have been exposed to, I think it is a type of personality. I read some of it in the 1970s, sometimes intensely, with great seriousness, as I was among a people who were quite convinced that the Revelation to John included events most of us would be witness to.

Here is what I think now:  Jesus said He is coming back.  He said to be ready because it would be a surprise.

1 comment:

james said...

For years I've been saying that prophecy tells the meaning of things, and only incidentally tells the future, though sometimes the future is predicted for validation.

And even there, one rather convincing claim says that foretelling is to make us ready to understand, not give us a timeline. "But these things I have spoken to you, so that when their hour comes, you may remember that I told you of them."

If "telling the meaning of things" is the right description, then those who say that this hurricane is God's judgment on us are indulging in prophecy. Some of them don't seem to be on the up and up.