Monday, May 13, 2019

Back From North Carolina

I have emailed Bird Dog about the problem on Maggie's Farm.  I had the same thing this morning.  MF shows up briefly, then switches to a site that says "this domain may be for sale."

A tree fell on our rental while we were driving on  the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Craggy Pinnacle. It brushed the front bumper and we ran over it. Exciting.  Had it been a split second later - about 0.06 seconds, actually - it would have been on the windshield, with potentially disastrous results.

I can see why motorcyclists like the parkway, and likely parkways in general. Not only is the weaving back and forth more fun for them than for operators of autos, but the lack of businesses and side streets means many fewer hazards from people darting out in front of you from the side, not treating you as a full vehicle.

The Biltmore was ridiculously expensive and we didn't go in.  We rethought that, and my wife and son almost went two days later, but did not.  We saw the introductory video at the information center, which summarised nicely George Vanderbilt inherited a lot of money.  This is how he spent it, building a very big house. He entertained his friends and his family always loved the place. He collected art and books and encouraged scientific farming, sort of. We want you to come spend money here enjoying the place with your family, too.  As you may guess from my tone, I found this irritating. It is impressive looking, however.

The wedding was interesting.  The couple chose the text Ezekiel 47:1-12, which the officiating minister - the bride's father - admitted threw him a bit at first. He did well with it, being caught on the hop like that. There was a roast/toast/talent presentation at the rehearsal dinner, and the people from the bride's side tending strongly to talent and toast. the people from the groom's side tended more to roast - including our family.

I have dictated myself some notes and hope to write them up over the next two weeks.  There is much to catch up with around here.  I find I like traveling less and less. I don't like traveling alone for very long, and don't like traveling with people much better.  I haven't traveled with a group, which always sounded ghastly to me, but perhaps I should try. But i kept worrying about things back home.

4 comments:

james said...

Ezekiel 47:12 or the whole 1-12? (and not Rev 22?). Ouch. I could see expanding on "not withering" because of God's sustaining, but the "do you see this" intro would be hard to draw anything significant from.

I've run into a few "historical sites" like that too. I get it, a rich-for-the-era person lived here==> huge contrast from what used to be in the neighborhood and isn't anymore. Perhaps it is a failure of imagination on my part, but I like to know what I'm supposed to be "doing darsan" about.

Glad to hear you dodged the tree. That can be ugly.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

1-12, especially 7-12, about the fresh water from the Temple bringing life across the desert to the Dead Sea. Interestingly, the son who was at the wedding with us had just been there two weeks ago. They did not stop to view or ponder, but the site and the reference to Ezekiel was pointed out. I have encouraged him to make a better story out of that.

Donna B. said...

The tree incident... exciting? Scary is a subset of exciting, so I'm glad it wasn't more exciting.

Christopher B said...

Visited the Biltmore with a previous girlfriend, and we did go inside. The opulence was interesting, at least in terms of what people thought opulent at the time. The swimming pool aged well but the bowling alley would seem a bit declasse now, I think. Too blue collar unless you were going for irony. It also gives you a perspective on exactly what a million dollars plus got you back in Vanderbilt's day - mostly the people necessary to do all the things that we use appliances and conveniences to do now.