Monday, May 22, 2017

Sister Rosetta Tharpe


 I knew her only as a name when I was young. A kind of show-off name, indicating that one was really knowledgeable about early rock 'n roll.  I don't think I heard her mentioned in my Jesus Freak days, though you'd think she would have been in a Larry Norman or Phil Keaggy context. I didn't know any more of her until a few years ago, when I happened upon the 1964 "Didn't It Rain" in an English train station.  I saw immediately that she was one of those seminal rockers. There are four parts to the documentary, of which the above is the first.

4 comments:

Sam L. said...

LINK, AVI; we NEED a LINK.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

It may be removed because of copyright, though there's nothing about that posted. If it doesn't stick this time I'll do it differently.

Sam L. said...

Wife and I went to Dairy Queen for dinner, saw a poster advertising ARRIVAL (first R is backwards), "Canada's ABBA Tribute Band". I thought you should be warned. (We're not going to see them.)

Galen said...

Maybe not seminal (code for frankly derivative), yet oddly endearing and undeniably talented, Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...Joanna Connor. She is tremendous.