Monday, May 15, 2017

Edvard Grieg



This is the classical composer Edvard Grieg with his lifelong best friend. I think I would have liked him.

We went to the home he had built to get away from distractions and compose, Troldhaugen.  It was remote at the time, but is now simply on a promontory out into the fjord near Bergen, in a suburban neighborhood.  There is a concert hall, built largely underground and most visible only from the water and up close.  Yet it is surprisingly light inside.  Appropriate for one who brought such imagination to the halls of the mountain king.  Very dwarvish indeed.  We heard this piece performed, which I had never heard but like very much. 

6 comments:

Grim said...

Sounds like a fine trip.

Roy Lofquist said...

The piece is very familiar. I don't have any Grieg in my collection so it must have been used in one or more venues at some time. For me that could be as much as 70 years ago.

Sam L. said...

Welcome back!

RichardJohnson said...



My memory of In the Hall of the Mountain King is my father putting words to the melody: "Johnny's got a bellyache, Johnny's got a bellyache..."

Texan99 said...

I thought it sounded familiar, then I realized I was thinking of the royal children's march from "The King and I."

Donna B. said...

I like it.