Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Under Paris Skies

One of those songs that always hung around in my head with no lyrics.
Dum dum de tum, De Dum dum de dum Under Paris Skies.
Dum dum de dum de dum de de dum de de dum. Andy Williams.

So I looked it up, and the lyrics are terrible. That's the problem with the singers of the Andy Williams, Tony Bennet ilk. They can make anything sound good. Nice-ish melody, good hook line, Andy Williams - you've got a record. And hey, a foreign city just for good measure. Three Coins In The Fountain, April In Paris - it always works. This one was originally in French, and I recall it was an accordion favorite on amateur hour shows. I hope the lyrics work better in the original.

Sinatra could do that, too. I recall growing up on "French Foreign Legion," from the Capitol Years collection. My mother loved Sinatra. I sang the song for her, dutiful son that I was. It wasn't until years later I figured out how lame the lyrics are.

Anyway, here's Andy.

No comments: