Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Inspirational Quotes

My hospital unit had inspirational quotes painted up on the walls everywhere. It's not just the forced cheeriness, it's that many of them are not quite accurate and I think spiritually unhealthy, giving advice about how you can do anything if you only persevere, etc.  But sometimes it's just intrusive, telling you how to handle situations that are your own damn business.

I'll mourn the absence of the flame if I want, and think it a more appropriate understanding of death.

6 comments:

Jonathan said...

A thoughtful person can find fault with many inspirational quotes. But it's no fun to get into it with people who think your quibble about the logic or empirical validity of their favorite quote means you oppose whatever it is the quote is meant to inspire. Usually best to keep your mouth shut.

Grim said...

Ain’t that the truth.

Sponge-headed ScienceMan said...

despair.com is a favorite site that sells sarcastic-flavored "motivational" posters and other items. For quite a few years I had one large framed attractively-looking poster on the wall in my office at work. I'd venture to say that less than 2% of visitors and co-workers ever even read the message. Those that did got a good chuckle, but most ignored the poster assuming it was just another insipid bumper sticker saying.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I love that site.

Aggie said...

Hope you are on the mend and speedily get well soon.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Just about. Foot is almost normal, slight swelling, but I am still elevating and icing, and still on antibiotics for another week.