Monday, August 07, 2023

Fantasy Football

I have one son who plays multiple teams in football, baseball, and basketball, and also makes many small bets throughout the year. He has always been a source for obscure team knowledge, such as who the backup center was for the Seattle Supersonics in 1998, but this does take it to a new level. 

It is seductively labor-intensive.  Every year I declare I am going to do only desultory research for the drafts (I am now in three leagues, all with different formats) and merely check my lineups before each weekend, but it never works out that way. I am already compiling lists of wide receivers for both regular PPR and idiosyncratic Dynasty leagues and moving names up or down a bit on the basis of what drifts past me. It is worth checking whether someone was injured and out for the season as of last Tuesday, after all.

I occasionally win, but it is the banter and camaraderie that make it worthwhile.

No comments: