Thursday, August 01, 2019

Saved Links

Progressive Cities have the worst housing inequality. Sometimes being against racism mostly means other people. October 2017

Obamacare was built with the flaws Trump now exploits.  Megan McArdle.  October 2017

Harvey Weinstein - Two narratives .  Paul Mirengoff over at Powerline: October 2017
In fact, however, the Hollywood exposed by the Weinstein scandal is a special case. I have litigated sexual harassment cases, advised corporations about the issue, contributed a chapter to a book about the law of sexual harassment, and read (I’m guessing) a few thousand court decisions in which harassment was alleged. I can think of a few cases where an executive was accused of acting as viciously as Weinstein over a period of years. But I can’t think of any in which the behavior was condoned on such a widespread scale — one that went beyond a single employer to penetrate an entire industry — much less condoned so broadly for decades.
 Democrats Yelp as Trump Upholds Constitution Michael Barone October 2017

If We All Stopped Eating Beef. Popular Science October 2017.

2 comments:

Donna B. said...

do you know the source of your food?

That's such a snarky question. Of course I do -- Whole Foods, Publix, and WalMart -- because those are the ones that deliver to my address!

There's little that turns my stomach more than "free range" chicken. I'm old enough to have witnessed what that really means. My age and where I grew up means that I've witnessed (and helped with) killing and processing of various sources of animal protein.

I do realize that my grandchildren are much more familiar with where vegetables come from. I'm not sure they realize the source of chicken nuggets. I am sure that their parents don't want me to inform them.

RichardJohnson said...

Sometimes being against racism mostly means other people.
Sometimes? More like all the time. A very high proportion of progressives/liberals are unable to consider the possibility that they have some tinges of bigotry/racism/otherism themselves. Which is why they get off on denouncing racism in deplorables.