Thursday, June 28, 2018

Literally

Now that literally is merely an intensifier, what are we going to use when we want to express the previous, and very useful, meaning of "literally?" Really or truly are a little weak. Absolutely is a little puffy. Actually is good, though it has a different tone about it. Precisely isn't quite right.  I think I like simply.

The word has been weakening for at least 90 years, and some of us still hold ourselves to the strict meaning, though we can no longer expect it from others. It's a pity when a useful word becomes sloppy. Those who wish to express themselves precisely have to take a little more time and effort, and the results are not as graceful. It is the powerful words that get captured and used, as speakers wish to have an impact without working too hard.

10 comments:

Boxty said...

I'm not sure it matters in an age when (literally) anything you say can be used as the basis of an accusation of dog-whistling or micro-aggressions, but how about non-ironically or unironically?

Christopher B said...

Alanis Morissette destroyed the meaning of irony for anybody under about 40.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

@ Boxty - I think that works in some situations. @ Christopher B - I could probably ask my sons, 34 & 38 what you mean by that, but could you just give me a sentence or two? I know the name, but I think I keep confusing her with Ani Defranco and Tori Amos, two other names that I know.

Christopher B said...

I maybe mixing up cause and effect but her hit song 'Ironic' narrowed the meaning to 'an unfortunate circumstance or outcome that is the opposite of what you hoped or intended'. I think the explosion in the use of 'oxymoron' reflects that ironic is now seldom used to mean 'saying something that has a meaning the opposite of what you wish to convey.'

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Now that you mention it, I did know that she had a song called "Ironic." I have likely heard it but don't remember it.

Zachriel said...

We're literally sticking with "literally" to mean literally.

Roy Lofquist said...

Defenestrate is one of my favorite words:

verb (used with object), de·fen·es·trat·ed, de·fen·es·trat·ing.
to throw (a person or thing) out of a window.

Not musch room for ambiguity or misunderstanding.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

@ Zachriel - thank you. I think it's only about 10% of the population that does, now.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

spam test

Texan99 said...

We're left having to use a circumlocution: "literally (not figuratively)."