Friday, April 27, 2018

Powerline Popups

I know I complain about lawyers, but Althouse and Powerline are two of my most-frequented sites. I don't like the popup ads at Powerline, and recently they have been advertising a neuroscientist who says they can boost my IQ.  I occasionally get spam emails of a similar nature, and see ads here and there for Lumosity or whatever.

Listen, I'm not interested in raising, or even preserving my IQ.  I'm interested in raising the IQ of everyone else. That would improve my life more.  I would pay $4.99/month for that.

Update:  Come to think of it, that applies to beauty as well.  Me becoming more handsome seems like a waste, frankly.  Everyone around me looking better seems like a good deal, though.

3 comments:

RichardJohnson said...

If you don't like the popup ads, get Adblock.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

It's only on my secondary browser, so I haven't gotten around to that yet. There is some threshold irritation level I have to reach, it seems.

RichardJohnson said...

A lot of sites ask you to turn off Adblock. I usually do, and have not been inundated with irritating ads. The Globe blocks my Adblock with this message: "You're using a browser set to private or incognito mode." I have no anonymizer/iccognito mode, so the Globe has to be referring to Adblock. When I turn off Adblock, the Globe repeats the message. No problem. If I really want to read the Globe article, I can copy/paste it to a Word Doc. Yes there is a lot of junk to delete or wade through, but I can read the article. In any event, I only refer to the Globe for sports these days.

The Chicago Tribune did the same thing when I turned off Adblock, but IIRC I couldn't access the article by copy/paste as I could with the Globe. I believe the Trib has fixed that bug, though.