Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Theory About The GPS

My theory, which is mine (ahem), is that you can learn the important touristy rudiments of a language by switching your GPS to it while driving around in the US. Distance measures, numbers, left, right, straight ahead, street, east/west, plus a solid feel for pronunciation, word order, and cadence - it seems excellent. Has anyone out there tried it? I don't use one myself.

When driving back from Parris Island my two Romanians found it uproarious to listen to the GPS direction in their language while driving in NJ. Drept inainte.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good idea, but don't leave home before you've also studied a cookbook. Catalogues are a great way of learning vocab, but I don't know of any audio catalogs on line. Still, just getting used to a few catalogues in another language even without audio is a great way to explore language and lifestyle.