Friday, July 25, 2008

Postliberal

A repost of where the idea of "postliberal" comes from. There were quite a few comments - well, sort of.
Nothing against conservatives - I usually agree with them. But there are Social Conservatives, Economic Conservatives, Religious Right, Paleocons, Neocons, Envirocons, Crunchy conservatives, Country-club conservatives, and proabably a few others I haven't been introduced to yet. None of them suits, exactly. There are also several species of Libertarian, with whom I also have some sympathies.

But "Postliberal" also gives a sense of my history and my approach to issues.

(Full post here)

2 comments:

Cappy said...

Pretty well sums up my situation, except that I was a died-in-the-wool moderate by college. Didn't join a frat, but enjoyed plenty of beer at rush parties and non-frat beer blasts.

Also can smell 'em out at 20 paces. Vegetarian, respect-for-third-world-culture, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Things got worse after a bitter divorce, with getting the works from social workers et. al. So it's more personal now. After 9/11 I didn't want to hang out much with the "Why Do They Hate Us" blubberers. My dad was a WW2 vet whose family was murdered by the Nazis, so that question never came up.

Anyway, through the miracle of the internet, all I have to do is refer my sisters to the web site What White People Like and have them punch their own ticket.

kreiz1 said...

Still one of the all-time best posts on any blog. It's always a pleasure to read. Maggie's Farm recently linked to it.