Saturday, December 08, 2007

Sammies

I picked up the Samuel Adams Winter Variety Pack today, mostly on the basis of one of the names: Old Fezziwig Ale. How can you pass that up? That is the strength of marketing well - create a brand that a certain market segment could not face themselves if they didn't buy it.

I don't even drink ale that much, though a best bitters is not that different from an IPA. Old Fezziwig is described
These roasted caramel and chocalate malts give it a very full body and a smooth taste that's then spiced with a touch of cinnamon, ginger, and orange.
Is it any good? How would I know? It's ale.

3 comments:

Jerub-Baal said...

Yes, Old Fezziwig is very good, but what else would you expect from a jolly Dickens character?

Wish they would sell it by the twelve pack...

... and I could do without the Cranberry Lambic. It was interesting...

... once.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I was drinking that just as you wrote it. I had already decided to pass the second one in the box on to my son. You can taste the cranberry, which is yes, interesting, but not good.

Jerub-Baal said...

I remember when it first came out (only in the pint bottles) and my memory of it is better than how it is today...


... although that may be due to it's being my beverage with the desert on my first date with my (now) wife.

Couldn't finish a whole pint though, not with triple chocolate cake at the Blue Diner.