Drug decriminalisation increases deaths. The research is still mixed, but points strongly in this direction
The Flattening of Time Ethan Strauss on how some news isn't new - including things he wrote years ago that have gone viral again.
And everybody hates the Jews* Guess the song before you look
Two from Works in Progress, which seems to prefer controversy
Flock cameras can be used abusively. Is that a reason not to have them?
Just Bury Your Trash. What if everything we know about recycling is wrong? Well, it would still be a religious acts. There's that.
*Hint: Tom Lehrer
Time-flattening - This happened not long ago with a post on Instapundit (and not for the first time IIRC). I don't recall the specific topic of the post but it included a clip of Sen Ed Markey almost getting broadsided by a train because he stood in the caution zone at the edge of the platform for some publicity video. Nothing in the post identified the video was from several years ago. I was pretty sure it was old when I saw it because I remembered seeing it before, and when I jumped into the comments several people also called out the fact that the clip was in no way contemporaneous with the rest of the post even if it was tangentially related.
ReplyDeleteI blame Google's shift to first (maybe, always) curated and now AI-driven ordering of search results because most people will assume recent postings are ranked hither where Google is at best returning results that it judges are most relevant instead, if the order doesn't outright reflect a huge thumb on the scale for monetary or ideological reasons.
"And everybody hates the Jews."
ReplyDeleteWay to get that song stuck in my head!
"A priest, a minister, and a rabbi . . ."
ReplyDeletehttps://theworld.org/stories/2018/02/21/whatever-became-national-brotherhood-week