The retro songs you hear in the supermarket are not the same songs that were popular at the time. When "Amie" came out in 1972 it was barely noticed, and even when it was rereleased in 1975 only charted at number 20. You'd think we sang it all day. "Bohemian Rhapsody" was strong in the UK, but barely made the Top Ten in the US until the 90's when "Wayne's World" made it popular. "Don't Stop (Thinkin' About Tomorrow)' peaked at 32 on the charts, but anything by Fleetwood Mac seems to carry now.
What did we sing that is missing now? Here's the Top 100 for 1972 I certainly remember the top two, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," and "Alone Again," but I don't recall hearing them for a long time. And farther down the list are things I recognise instantly but had forgotten existed.
I loved Bohemian Rhapsody the first time I heard it on the radio, though I had no idea about the band at that time. That was long before Wayne's World. Nearly half of the top 100 of 1972 were very familiar to me back then, when I was 16. I admit I draw something of a blank on the other half, but many were from genres that weren't my thing.
ReplyDelete