Monday, August 24, 2026

Tonics

I remember the place, but it was on the other side of town and we only passed it on the way to my great aunt's in Bedford. It was at what is now Second Street Plaza, near KC's Rib Shack. The photo is from the collection of John Patrick Jordan, who has a FB page of Manchester history. "Relishes and other condiments are provided by Heinz."

I post this to draw your attention to the sign on the left.  It says "Tonics," a very common word for sodas in 1941, left over from the early years of soft drinks in New England when they were marketed as health tonics.  I think it was my mother's preferred term when I was young but not later, so I can't be sure. The last person I knew who still said it died this year at 89.  There must still be a few. 

And yes, we said "bubbler" for a water fountain, which was only in New England and a small area of Wisconsin where the factory for the Bubbler brand name was.  

No comments: