Monday, September 26, 2022

Latinx

It's a word used to signal that you have been to graduate school, or want to, especially in the social sciences. Suggestions that it is related to showing respect for people from Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries in the Western Hemisphere have been discarded for lack of evidence.

Update:  I can't tell if latine means "I hang around highly-educated humanities/social science types and also want to signal my inclusion of the sexually non-conforming," or "Humm, latinx doesn't seem to be working, let's try something else."

5 comments:

Grim said...

I just finished a project where my entire team was from Columbia. My Spanish has gotten quite a bit better the last few months. Not one person ever used the term "Latinx."

james said...

Graduate school at the Academy of Lagado?

RichardJohnson said...

Some Spanish language words to describe "lantinx" users: pendejo, boludo, pelotudo.

Grim, I think you mean ColOmbia. ColUmbia can refer to: river between Washington and Oregon, city in South Carolina that is not terribly fond of General Sherman, university in NYC (Roar, Lion Roar..). But NOT to that country in South America.

Grim said...

I stand corrected. I did not realize that there was a difference in the spelling; I assume they all are named after the same individual.

Korora said...

@Richard Johnson: I had to look a couple of those words up, but yeah. That's cattily accurate.