Thursday, October 26, 2017

Current Events

Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks mentioned, as a lead-in to a punchline "Hegel said that modern man has taken to reading the daily newspaper in place of morning prayer."

Sad to say there is a great deal of truth in that for me personally. Giving up reading the news is not easy for me - I sneak back constantly. And current events is a god, keeping us focused on the immediate past and the immediate future, rather than on eternity or obedience in this moment.

3 comments:

GraniteDad said...

It's a fair cop, guvn'r. Just hard to do.

james said...

I've tried a fast from time to time. If the scope is limited--"no news for just today; I can catch up tomorrow"--it isn't that hard to keep to it, though tomorrow sometimes binges.
There's enough work to do to keep me occupied for a day, and books that would take up still more, and if I run out of things to do there are those who can easily find jobs :-)

stevo said...

I resemble that remark