Friday, April 28, 2017

Dale Kuehne On Trump

An interesting take by my friend Dale.  I'm really tired of everyone's new interpretation of Trump, but I read on because I felt obligated.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It is not complimentary to the president, but neither is it scathing and merely insulting.  Even for those who don't like him, I think it points a way for Trump to be endured without losing your mind.  And for those who do like him, I think it provides a cautionary note on how you might get a lot of what you hope for in Trump, but you're not going to get it all. Well into the article, emphasis mine:
What we have seen in the first 100 days of the Trump Presidency is a President who is governing consistent with his background. Psychologically he may be the least complicated President in American History. He is extraordinarily transparent, to a fault. He created diplomatic waves the day after his election by taking a phone call from the political leader of Taiwan, thus violating decades of diplomatic protocol in dealing with China and Taiwan. Immediately, political analysts began asking questions about the calculation surrounding his decision to receive this call. They spoke of as if Trump had diplomatic instincts he has never exhibited. There is little doubt Trump had his reasons for taking the call, but it may not be more complicated than the fact he wanted to receive congratulations from a world leader.

3 comments:

Boxty said...

A fair and balanced article which means probably nobody will like it but I think your analysis of the article was spot on.

sykes.1 said...

Kuehne's essay is already out-of-date and largely irrelevant. There has been a silent coup in Washington, and the neocons/globalists are fully in charge. Whatever Trump said during the campaign is null and void. Welcome to Dubya III.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

@ sykes.1 - according to the linked opinion, and I think Trump's history in general, coups will likely be frequent and unstable. I don't think neoconservatism will contain him well. Career political operatives are indeed skilled at getting themselves placed. I don't see that as permanent.