Saturday, May 05, 2007

Sad and Stunning

A young woman was admitted to my caseload today. Her baby had died within her, and she was induced, delivering at 8 months. She had made suicidal statements afterward. The previous hospital had tried to be helpful, letting her hold the baby, putting a little hat on it and taking pictures for her. She still had the hat.

She used my phone to check her cellphone messages. She let me listen to the third message, a young female voice saying I heard you lost your baby to crack, you whore. You're a skank whore... and on and on.

I find it amazing that one human being could kick another when she is down like this. Even by the horrible standards of what I listen to every day, this was unbelievable.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very sad. It is, unfortunately, not at all amazing. Some people seem to revel in kicking others when they are down; it is a problem our species has always had.

Jerub-Baal said...

There is a reason that Romans 12:15 is written in the form of a command, "Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn."

It is not a natural part of being human to have compassion on people outside of our own little tribe.

Anyone who has not been taught (or confronted with) this elemental truth about human nature will eventually view those outside their own group in the most venal way.

Angevin13 said...

I do find I amazing, though I agree some people revel in other people's misfortune. Still, that voice message is appalling.

Though the hospital tried to be helpful I can't imagine what it did was helpful. Though my girlfriend says what the hospital did is a reasonable thing to be done as part of the mourning and healing processes.

Russell said...

Schadenfreude at its best (or worst).

Anonymous said...

Please send along my sympathy to your patient for her loss.

Anonymous said...

Such is the state of fallen man—condemned to cycles of petty cruelty and spite. My heart aches for both your patient and her tormentor. Learning to forgive, especially of oneself, is the only way through which true healing can begin. It is always a difficult task and I will add my prayers to those of others who hope she will find the peace she so desperately needs. -cp