Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A Douglas Adams World

After a hard, windy night driving through Nashville in an RV dragging a Ford Probe, we turned in early at a park right on the Mississippi River, in West Memphis, Arkansas. I had never been within 400 miles of the place in my life. Ben received a call on his cell, woke me, and handed me a conversation with a college friend I have not spoken to in over 30 years. That's a little odd, but odd things do occur with some frequency.

John, the caller, informed that a mutual friend, who I used to play in a band with, now lives in -- south Memphis, about 2 miles away. Perhaps almost in view over the river if I knew where to look. Could be just random, I suppose. Somebody has to live in Memphis. John was going to call sometime. But all this has an Arthur Dent feel to it.

I don't find a Hitchhiker's Guide style universe incompatible with Christianity, actually. There are too many odd things that just can't be coincidence. Yet how they tie together and what it all means remains somewhat elusive.

3 comments:

Jerub-Baal said...

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." Douglas Adams

Anonymous said...

Let me know when a whale mysteriously appears out of thin air, or you trip, forget to fall, and start flying...

---BubbaB

bs king said...

To heck with the whale, it's that pot of petunias that always bothered me. If those show up, I'd like to have a word. Oh no. Not again.