Sebastian Jensen shows how a little nicotine really does boost IQ 3-8 points for a short period of time.
I believe it. The movie stereotype of the journalist who sits down at the typewriter and lights up was exactly my experience. If I wanted to concentrate and think hard I pulled out an Old Gold. When I quit, the moments that I noticed the lack most were sitting at a computer and starting something difficult. My thinking just felt a little gummy and slow. Doctors and others would ask "Why do you smoke?" and I would point out that I loved smoking. Smoking is a great drug delivery system, getting chemicals to the forebrain almost immediately.
Of course, I also had sixteen other cigarettes every day even when I didn't need to think all that hard, and those were bad for my lungs. Detail, details. It is very hard for schizophrenics to quit smoking because they already feel mentally slowed and/or disorganised. Being in hospital provokes a lot of extra anxiety, and feeling even more zombified than usual is tough to endure...especially if you think there's nothing wrong with you to begin with.
I gather exercise is supposed to help, though it takes a long time. And maybe coffee. I don't really like any of those...
ReplyDelete